Tuesday 12 March 2013

Bizarre but easy peasy chocolate pudding

I have finally started my diet, after 5 months..hmm I lie.. actually 14 months of eating whatever I like. Dark days ahead and 1 stone to go. Then it was my birthday last week and with Mothers Day just a day after, I got a double whammy on pressies! Needless to say, for a foodie like me I gorged on some lovely rich food and was thoroughly spoilt. I have developed during and after my pregnancy a really sweet tooth. I have always like desserts and biscuits but my god I am like the hoover of anything sweet nowadays.

So after 2 days of constant eating, the last thing I want before I start my diet again was something cakey and chocolatey! I was at my in-laws and my mother in law suggested that we make her chocolate pudding. I have heard a lot about this chocolate pudding as Andrew loved it as a child. Knowing how fussy I am about chocolatey puddings Andrew warned me that it is not the type of chocolate pudding I am used to. Nevertherless I was too desperate to care!

The pudding itself was really easy and quick to make (prep and cook in under 40 mins) that didn't involve eggs but a cup of hot water at the end on top of the pudding mixture. Sounds bizarre? I was skeptical but I was pleasantly surprised. Don't expect this to be a gourmet pudding, it aint that but it was gooey and self saucing (the purpose of the hot water) and most importantly quick. Perfect for a quick fix. Eat it with lashings of cream, hot/cold custard or ice cream. It was deeply satisfying and yet light. I like it so much I made a second one when I came back from my in-laws.

Here is the recipe to my mother in law's bizarre chocolate pudding







Preheat oven 180degrees. Use a deep dish so that the sauce doesn't bubble over, I made a mistake of using a shallow one and my pudding was a little dry.

For 4 (or two if you are greedy like me)
Wet ingredients
1 cup self raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
2 oz butter, melted in the microwave
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dry ingredients
1/2 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 cup sugar

1 cup of hot water

Mix all wet ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour into your baking dish. Mix the dry ingredients and sprinkle evenly ontop of the mixture. Pour the cup of boiling water on top. Bake for 30 minutes. That's it, easy eh? I ate mine with lashings of cream and fresh strawberries.

Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment