Tuesday 23 April 2013

Some like it hot...

After a very busy long weekend in Cornwall, the subsequent week wasn't much calmer. I thought I would start the rest of my week by weaning my daughter. I went in without much preparation to be honest. I had a spoon that's about it! It was a freebie from those marketing ploys by Hipp Organic. Sneaky buggers but it came in handy until I got myself some fancy-pants heat sensitive Tommee Tippee spoons. Alexa didn't care what spoons she used as she gobbled up whatever concoction I served her. Thank goodness for those freezer meals (hence no food diary last week!) I so religiously stored over the months as they came in handy. We ate simply last week but that didn't last long. Weekend came and I thought enough is enough with the freezer food. So after a sunny afternoon at the rugby my husband suggested we cook a lamb curry! Most people will go with BBQ or salads given it was quite hot on Saturday but no, we want to spice it up.

We found this recipe online (all hail the internet) and the reason we decided to try it is the amount of spices the recipe used, shit loads! We did cut back on the chillies a bit and I am so glad we did as the finished product was delicious and the heat builds and builds. In short, it is a blow your head off curry but it is well spiced, creamy and you can taste the meat.

Adapted from Kothiyavunu.com



For Marinate:
Lamb: 700g
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 2 tsp or to your spice level
Coriander Powder : 2 tsp
Salt to taste

For Gravy :
Shallots /Small Red Onions : 1/4 cup (finely,sliced)
Dried Whole Red Chillies : 2-3 Broken into two pieces
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : few
Yellow Chillies : 4 - 6 or to your spice level (slit, lengthwise), I used the chillies I got from Wiltshire Chilli Farm. Spicy with fruity note, absolute delicious
Onion : 1 large (finely, sliced)
Tomatoes : 6 (medium, sliced), I used cherry as I had them in the fridge
Ginger : 1 tbsp (chopped)
Garlic : 1 tbsp (chopped)
Thin coconut milk: 1 tin
Thick Coconut milk: 1 tin
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder : 2 tsp
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
Garam masala powder : 3 tsp
3 - 4 large new potatoes, cut into cubes

Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it starts to splutter, add sliced shallots, curry leaves, dried red chillies, chopped ginger, garlic and saute for couple of minutes. Add chopped onion, chillies, saute till onions turn translucent and light brown. Add the marinated lamb pieces and potatoes, salt to taste and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
Mix turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala into some of the coconut milk and mix well. Pour in spiced coconut milk into lamb and adjust the salt. Lower heat and simmer gently till lamb is cooked and gravy has thickened, about 30 minutes. Pour in the coconut cream and stir gently and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve with plain or turmeric rice.

Colourful ingredients 

Served with cucumber raita made with sour cream and tumeric rice

No comments:

Post a Comment