Monday 12 September 2011

Monday blues...

Ok it's Monday, wind is blowing a hundred miles an hour, computer is not working at work, car is nearly on empty, bank account depleting fast this month and worst of all, one of my best friends in Bath is leaving for Germany! It sure looks like the Monday Blues brigade is out in full force. Get a grip Catherine, I hear myself say.

Oh it was so far removed from the weekend just gone. Rewind 3 days. I finished work early on Thursday, met up with Tanya at Indulgence Cafe on Bathwick St run by Katherine Small. She fed us wonderful cakes and choc truffles. Andrew and I had taken the Friday off, went to Bicester for a spot of early Christmas shopping, dinner with our friends on Saturday then the Love Food Festival at Dryham Park on Sunday. Katharine cooked Sunday lunch and while the rain was pelting down on the roof atCatharines, we were dining on lamb with savoy cabbage and chestnuts, red wine followed by homemade chocolate macaroons and baklava bought from the festival. We then finished the evening with cheese and Katharine turned to me and said she began to understand my hatred of Sunday.

Fast forward to present time - Now where was I? Oh yes get a grip Catherine! I finished what I have to do at work, drove over to Lucknam and met Phyllis for a goodbye drink (She is leaving for Germany early tomorrow) then called my saint of a husband to get some ingredients for Thai Beef Salad. I thought if there is one thing in the world to cheer me up, its food.

Thai Beef Salad
12 Sept 2011

Serves 2

1 x Rib eye steak, seasoned with salt and pepper

In a bowl, mix:
2 x shredded carrots
1 x celery stick sliced
6 - 8 cherry tomatoes
handful of coriander, chopped
40g dry glass noodles (optional) Soak in bowl of hot water for 10 mins, drain and run under cold tap
1/3 cucumber, sliced

Dressing:
Juice of 1 lime
1 x tablespoons fish sauce
1 x hot birds eye chilli, sliced thinly
1/2 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar

Method:
Grill or pan fried beef 2 mins on each side. Set aside for 5 mins. Cook longer if you don't like your beef pink. Pour the dressing onto the bowl and toss. Slice beef. Either toss with the salad or put the beef on top of salad

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment